Friday, December 22, 2006

Just another update

I started to post a lot more regularly, probably because I am finally on my holidays. Hurray!!! I love it despite being ill and even despite awfully cold and foggy-misty weather that has been in Cam recently. When they sang ‘I am wishing for the White Christmas’, I don’t think they could have imagined this weather in their wildest dreams/nightmares. Well, it is white, scary Halloween’ white with fog and not with the snow. And it is bitterly cold and wet and just miserable. It is not the type of weather people like to experience particularly over the holidays. I am craving for sunshine…

But it is the 22nd of December and with Christmas rapidly approaching I have decided to give my flat a clean-over. Actually, in Russia it is one of this weird customs to clean the house prior the New Year celebrations. It is believed that if your house is clean at the time it would remain to be clean over the year. Probably centuries ago it had a slightly less direct meaning with people believing in evil creatures. They probably wanted those creatures to stay away from the house and so cleaned it as a ritual? I am not sure, but so used to this tradition, I just had to clean my flat, everything, even the walls in the kitchen, even the much hated banister and all the clothes in the closet. And I have done it in less than 3 hours, still astonished!!!

Talking about cleaning, one of the things I absolutely hate with all my heart is dish washing. I have done a lot of it in my short life that is why. I have done in the places where there was no hot water and in the places where it was no tab water at all and I had to bring it form the well and heat.
There is an ad I hear daily on the radio about Mortgages, they go around and ask people what they want to have in their future homes. Some people wish for specific bathroom tiles, some for the game room with the pool table and white chalk on the string to keep score (bachelor guys I guess), some go wild and want to have a door bell ringing with the ‘Final countdown’. My dreams are less outlandish: I want to have a dishwasher.

Now, back to knitting. I have abandoned the Blue Bell Jacket in favour of the bulky sweater and it is going rather well with both sleeves and ¼ of the body being done. I have to say it: Cascade Magnum yarn is fantastic! It is FANTASTIC. The texture and the diameter are pretty much like Blue Sky Alpacas Bulky I have used in the VK Beret, but it is luxurious to touch, so silky and smooth and shiny. I think I would have to find another chunky model so I could use it again. Yes, it is that good. My colour is celery and it looks like it has been hand died as is it not truly solid, has slight orange variation, beautiful!

2 comments:

OLGAJAZZY said...

Anastasia, I love that Celery colored Sweater, How did u like working with Magnum?
Also on a Twinkle site she started selling her own yarns now!
I love all of her designs, some are just too bulky, congrats, you are so brave!

OLGAJAZZY said...

Anastasia, I love that Celery colored Sweater, How did u like working with Magnum?
Also on a Twinkle site she started selling her own yarns now!
I love all of her designs, some are just too bulky, congrats, you are so brave!